This Saturday, Oct. 24th marked the first ever Starting Strength Fall Classic (previously the October Iron Fest). Forty-eight lifters from all over the upper-Midwest (Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Iowa) traveled to Chicago to compete at Bucktown CrossFit. Meanwhile, this same weekend, at seven other gyms across the nation hundreds of lifters were competing in the same event. I am proud to be one of the few gyms selected to host this prestigious event.
Below you will find all of the results from the Chicago Starting Strength Fall Classic, but before you scroll down I’d like to show appreciation for those without whom this event would have been impossible.
- Thanks to Bucktown CrossFit for the use of their facility.
- Thanks to Lance’s Gym for the use of the ER-Rack. This contributed greatly to the event finishining 90-mins ahead of schedule.
- Thanks to Phil Beck for the use of the sound and projection equipment. Even though I still lost my voice from talking all day, it was made far easier with the PA system and projector.
- Thanks to the loaders and spotters who busted ass all day. No lifters were injured. No squats hit the ground. And the spotters themselves weren’t injured despite a few lifters walking out from under their 300+ lb. squats. Thank you:
- Christina Andriola
- Garnett Broy
- Joey Conway
- Alex Murray
- Jeremy Myeroff
- Graeme Wilson
- Thanks to the judges who shared their time and expertise. The judging was fair and efficient all day. Thank you:
- John Barbaro
- Dan Burke
- Bill Coyne
- Dave Klopp, SSC
- Chris Kursko, SSC – Chris traveled from Lansing, MI to help with the event. (Black Iron Training)
- Karl Schudt, SSC (Schudt Strength Training)
- Bucktown CrossFit | 7 members | Score: 60
- Hardware CrossFit | 5 members | Score: 44
- Chicago Strength & Conditioning | 4 members | Score: 40
Overall winners are ranked strictly by Wilk’s coefficient. No adjustment for age.
(Name | Wilks | Total)
- Stephanie Vetter | 356.46 Wilks | 660 lb.
- Heather Monk | 345.68 Wilks | 905 lb.
- Gillen Witherspoon | 339.72 Wilks | 785 lb.
(Name | Wilks | Total)
- Richard Fairley | 371.92 Wilks | 1335 lb.
- John Laurel | 370.1 Wilks | 1420 lb.
- Manveer Sadhal | 332.26 Wilks | 1235 lb.
Masters’ Wilks score is multiplied by an age-based coefficient (McCulloch)
- Herlinda Teach | 281.17 Wilks-Age
- Jackie Weinberg | 253.55 Wilks-Age
- Shawn Ryan | 296.29 Wilks-Age
- Chris Johnson | 273.94 Wilks-Age
- Bob Grant | 271.33 Wilks-Age
- Phil Beck | 265.08 Wilks-Age